SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

Paula Bray
Yes it is that time of year again, Halloween, 8 weeks before Christmas and only 27 weeks to the Scillies 2018 World Pilot Gig Championships.  As a competitive Gig racing club this is the primary event in our rowing calendar.  This will be the first of many other emails on the subject, with more information over the coming weeks and months.

For our newer rowers we should say from the outset that the Scillies is a three day event.  There are Vets and Super Vets races on the Friday night and on the Saturday and Sunday there are four squad races, one long (1.8nm) and three shorter (1.2nm) – 2 per day.  Men and ladies race in each category. Next year’s event will be our sixth,  and as ever we hope it will be the best yet.

Previous Results:
In the main event last year our Mens B (in Spirit) shot to fame by coming a fantastic 48th out of 137 participating mens crews pipping our Mens A ( in Star) who although they finished well,  came 52nd  overall.  Our mens C team came 118th, 6 places up on last year (in Seahawk).  Our Ladies A shot up the leagues (in Star) finishing 44th ( our highest ever club placing) out of 142 participating crews and our ladies B were not far behind (in Spirit) finishing only 4 places behind them in 48th position meeting our best position overall on the previous year.  Our ladies C also improved on the previous year finishing 118th ( in Seahawk) a gain of 26 places.  In terms of Vets and Super Vets performance we continue to miss the top 10 (but we will be back) – our Ladies Vets finished 39/51(in Star) and Ladies Super Vets (in Spirit) finished 12/27 crews.  The mens vets (Spirit) came 27/42 crews and the super vets ended 14/26 (in Star).  We know we have more to give in our Vets races and we really need to think our best strategy and strongest crews to achieve a better set of results.

Selection:
In 2018 we want to progress all crews further and to do this we need to start thinking now about next years squads/teams so we can start training both on and off the water. At this stage all we need to do is get an indication of who is interested in going to the Scillies and taking part in the selection process.  The criteria that we used for selection for 2017 will be revised and signed off at the rowing committee meeting on 14.11.17 and published on our new website.  There is a strong feeling from our captains that we need commitment not only for the Scillies but also for the regatta season and while we will of course ensure that our members who will not be heading to the Scillies but who want to race in competitive regattas are also considered for regatta selection we will want our Scillies rowers to sign up for a good proportion of the 2018 regattas in addition to the Scillies.

In terms of fitness we have not always invoked formal fitness tests in the past although we do expect evidence of progression.  We will be discussing how we get that evidence with Errol our club Coach over the coming weeks and months. As you know we are going back to basics in training over the next four to six weeks but we do hope to consider selection as soon as possible after that and will include criteria such as commitment, performance, attendance, “fit” both physically but most importantly within a crew. There will be a commitment level and some form of benchmark that we will expect mens and ladies to aim for if they want to get into a squad for on the water training.

Accomodation and cost:
We have also been asked to remind you that another condition of representing the club at the Scillies is ensuring you have your  own accommodation (probably more difficult than being selected but essential) - travel can be booked a little later.  For our newer members we must point out that accommodation there is limited and if you wish to book a B & B, cottage or hotel then many are booked ahead at least one year in advance.  The club has arranged for a limited number of camping spaces for rowers and Robina will be posting a separate message on that shortly.  If however  you want something more substantial over your head you need to be making those enquiries now. In addition to your travel & accommodation costs there is a fee of £50.00 that covers the cost of transporting the boats to the Scillies as well as ourselves.

Boats:
In terms of boats we know we will be taking both Star of Northney and Spirit of Langstone to race.  We are also hoping with Matt’s assistance to have dried out and given Heart of Hayling much TLC to make her our third competitive boat allowing us to enter Vets/Super Vets and A to C crews.

What do you want to sign up for?:
At this stage we just need to ascertain interest by asking you to post here if you wish to row and whether you are interested in Mens or Ladies squads only; Mens or Ladies Vets (over 40’s) only;  Mens or Ladies Super Vets (over 50’s) only or all three.

Any questions please just speak to one of us.

It would be good to understand who is interested so we can begin our selection discussions at the Rowing Committee meeting on 14 November.  Responses preferable by close of play on Monday 13 November.

Remember – new season – so its all to play for!

Chris & Paula
Mens & Ladies Captains

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

First one to express an interest for as many races as possible please😎🤞 Oh and the Regatta season if still fit enough!
Teamwork
Power
Passion

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

Greg Tutt
If selected, I would like to row on the Friday night and the weekend please.
Thanks
Greg

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

pwest88
As many races as possible please for the scillies and regatta season

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

Hi Paula, Chris

I would be interested in rowing each day over the weekend if considered.

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

Lance
Friday to Sunday if selected please

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

Jason Hebblethwaite
Yes please and the regatta season :)

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

jax sprackling
yes please for Simon and Jax for any seats  in any boats .

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

Yes please for me.
I'd like to be considered for ladies and/or vets, but I will come along anyway to take pics and be head cheerleader

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

James Griffin
yes please - anything will do fine.

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

Yes please! Ladies and SuperVets if possible
I am available for several of next year's regattas.

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

Sheila Tidd
Yes please.  I would like to be considered for Super Vets and ladies squad.   Sheila

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

Steve Woods
Paula,

Happy to slot in wherever and make room for those that are fitter, younger, better and totally committed. Also those who have not had the opportunity to compete in the Scillies before.  I am planning to be on St Marys Friday and the weekend.

Cheers
07788 277875
stevewoods583@btinternet.com

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

I would like to be considered for all the sat & Sunday races for the ladies - still a couple of years to go before being a vet!
Also next year will be better than this, so intend to attend all regattas that I can!

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

Clair Fennessy
Paula and Chris, if selected I would like to be considered for ladies and vets.

Thanks

Clair

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

Hi Folks
In the hope I qualify... I would like to be considered for Ladies and/or Vets please.

Thank you.  Panic and excitement all at once - I am surprised I can type!
Nx

PS I will be away in SA for Xmas 20/12 to 22/01 so will miss some training sessions but no skiing this year unfortunately.

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

I would like to be considered for ladies please

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

Ephillips
Interested in rowing for all ladies racing-Esme

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

sarahb
Administrator
Hi

I would love to row in anything and everything!!!

Sarah xx

 we may even see a familiar face if the child gets to go with his new club!!!

Re: SCILLIES WPGC 2018 - Friday 4th to Sunday 6th May 2018 - register your interest by close of play on 13.11.17

Mike Gilbert
Paula, I would like another go in the Supervets on Friday and around to cox... and yes next summer looks like it is much more relaxed than this summer... so regattas are possible... Mike
123