Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Jackie Tutt
Hi GG
Whilst putting some oars away this evening I see we are now needing six oars on one rack.  I wondered if we could adapt the rack to make it safer. As we are getting more oars soon and we will need to keep six on one rack, I thought we could add a bit at the end to keep them on. Ivor thought perhaps we could weld a piece of metal and then tape it so it doesn't damage the oars or a bit of wood with a dowel bit cut out.
I just think that they are so close to the edge it would only need a tap and an oar would fall and then cause others to fall!
Any ideas!
I am not technical at all but will help someone if they have the skills and tools for the job.
Many thanks
Jackie

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Alan & Julia
Administrator
Hi Jackie,

You can use the beams - I covered them with carpet to protect heads for the vertically blessed and also as an over-spill store for oars if necessary, should do as a short term fix until a more permanent mod can be done.

Alan
Alan & Julia Robinson

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Mmmmm

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

I looked at the rack today, I'll cut some square section steels to go on the ends of the existing arms, they will be welded on at 45degs to act as a restraint.
I'll probably take the racks to the workshop and do them there in a controlled environment.
As Alan said, the overhead carpeted beams are a good over spill for now until I get set up for the welding.

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Alan & Julia
Hi Matt,

A thought occurred to me after our conversation yesterday regarding the oar rack - what about colour coding the up-stands with tape to correspond to the coloured tape on each set of oars, pretty foolproof I would think and much simpler than a chart on the wall.

Best,

Alan.
Alan & Julia Robinson

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Sounds great Matt - thank you for your input as ever.
Let us all know what and how we can help to make it easy to get this done as and when you want to do it.
Jackie