Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Jackie Tutt
Hi GG
Whilst putting some oars away this evening I see we are now needing six oars on one rack.  I wondered if we could adapt the rack to make it safer. As we are getting more oars soon and we will need to keep six on one rack, I thought we could add a bit at the end to keep them on. Ivor thought perhaps we could weld a piece of metal and then tape it so it doesn't damage the oars or a bit of wood with a dowel bit cut out.
I just think that they are so close to the edge it would only need a tap and an oar would fall and then cause others to fall!
Any ideas!
I am not technical at all but will help someone if they have the skills and tools for the job.
Many thanks
Jackie

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Alan & Julia
Administrator
Hi Jackie,

You can use the beams - I covered them with carpet to protect heads for the vertically blessed and also as an over-spill store for oars if necessary, should do as a short term fix until a more permanent mod can be done.

Alan
Alan & Julia Robinson

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Mmmmm

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

I looked at the rack today, I'll cut some square section steels to go on the ends of the existing arms, they will be welded on at 45degs to act as a restraint.
I'll probably take the racks to the workshop and do them there in a controlled environment.
As Alan said, the overhead carpeted beams are a good over spill for now until I get set up for the welding.

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Alan & Julia
Hi Matt,

A thought occurred to me after our conversation yesterday regarding the oar rack - what about colour coding the up-stands with tape to correspond to the coloured tape on each set of oars, pretty foolproof I would think and much simpler than a chart on the wall.

Best,

Alan.
Alan & Julia Robinson

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Sounds great Matt - thank you for your input as ever.
Let us all know what and how we can help to make it easy to get this done as and when you want to do it.
Jackie

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Dragging my heels on this one eh?
I’ve got the steel today, should start cutting tomoz!

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Thanks Matt
You are a busy man and have only just got back!
The two sets of junior oars are being delivered to me tomorrow morning and so perfect timing. We can keep them here until the racks are complete if that is what is required. So long as we get a photo for The Rowing Foundation in the next couple of weeks we will be fine. Let me know if you need any help and then we could work towards getting all the oars coloured and the racks too.
Jackie

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Two end racks removed, all the oars are up on the loft beams now, sorry if you can’t reach but a milk crate might come in handy.
I’ll have the racks back on Monday.

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Jackie Tutt
Thanks Matt

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Knobs on! Just needs a grind down, protection and colour coding....

That is exactly what we needed for all our precious oars. You are an absolute star!! Please let me know if you need any help with anything.
Jackie

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Alan & Julia
Looking good Matt, do you need a hand refitting them?

A.
Alan & Julia Robinson

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Sure, I’ll text u tomorrow am if you are available? You can bring down your wrap to trial.

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Alan & Julia
Administrator
Yep, "I'm Free" - just let me know what time.

A.
Alan & Julia Robinson

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Oar rack is back, I've got some protective end caps to go on when they arrive Friday.

Alan Robinson is trialing a foam sheath instead of the green ribbed covers, this is more delicate and will require changing once per year if it degrades.
There's a smaller gap to put the oar into now the ends are upturned, as Alan points out it makes you think about it so hopefully will self promote good oar keeping!

The main thing is that they won't fall off the racks with a bump from anyone's bum!

I'll organise the labelling at some point unless we have someone willing to step up and make a dummies guide that works for all?
Eg if the rack above has the first 3 oars paddle towards the door then the next rack down has to have the first 3 handles to the door....see the pic below

Even now I'm a bit baffled by the oars, I had it 'mansplained' & 'ladyspalained' many times so I sympathise with you.

The order of racks is as follows,
Top rack:   Spare Oars
Next rack: Mens' big handle bad boys
Next rack: Ladies' with rubber bands from the sprints
Next rack: HOH
Next rack: Spirit
Next rack: Existing Junior oars
Next rack: New Junior oars
Next rack: New Junior oars
Next rack: Free
Next rack: Free

Overhead rack: Perry's Oars, not to hide away but just to keep safe.

Here's my pic of me leaning against the nearly completed job! yay

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Brilliant job Matt! Thank you so much this is just what we needed to keep the oars safe and sound.

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Thank you Matt and crew the oar rack looks fabulous  .

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Well done Matt - "Proper job" as always.

Cheers CB

Re: Help to find a way to adapt the oar rack

Alan & Julia
Having tried the foam sheath (pipe insulation) on one arm, it looks as though it may prove successful - needs a little fettling but I'll get some more tomorrow and continue, maybe just one level to trial it for a few weeks and gain useful feedback.

Alan.
Alan & Julia Robinson
12